From the Hat Rack

"An experiment in writing." This blog contains my occasional essays/reflections/columns on personal observations. The blog is so named as I seem to wear many hats on a daily basis. These reflections may come from one or more of these "hat perspectives." The primary purpose of the blog is for writing and improving that skill, and to just share observations that come to mind. Thanks for visiting.

Name:
Location: Coralville, Iowa

July 28, 2006

A Passing Joy

The news came this week of a grand event. A friend shared the good news that he and his wife brought home their newly adopted daughter. The tiny infant – a preemie but very healthy – has been the focus of years of effort and prayer. The heartfelt delight was evident in the written notification. Persons from around this country and across the globe sent along notes of congratulations and celebration. Among these words of encouragement were admonitions from experienced parents to “enjoy each day with your daughter.”

As my friend and his wife experience their first days as parents, I reflected on my own journey as a parent thus far. Those early days and months are challenging, stressful, joyous. Yet, even as parents are grateful when the baby begins sleeping through the night, the special time of feeding and rocking at 2:00 AM can not be duplicated. Children grow quickly, far too quickly the older they get.

The same day as I received the happy news from my friend, a sever thunderstorm hit our area. I put my young daughter to bed after a long and busy day. A few minutes later, I heard her calling, “Mama; Daddy.” It was not her “I want to delay bedtime” cry. This was a cry of fear. I walked in and found her reaching out for me. The thunderstorm frightened her. The lightening was visible around the edges of the window shade, and the thunder was in full voice. I pulled her into my arms – her favorite teddy bear along for the ride – and settled into the rocking chair. We quietly talked about the storm, being scared, God and Mama and Daddy watching out for her and other chit-chat. After a few minutes, she snuggled close and drifted off to sleep.

And, for a few moments, she was 6 months old again, falling asleep in Daddy’s arms, feeling safe and secure. For me, it was the warmth of an experience that is nearing its end. With my sons now ages 8 and 6, and my daughter turning 3 in a month and a half, the experience of having your young child fall asleep in your arms is passing away. AS children grow older, a different appreciation grows as they go through new experiences. They can’t stay tiny for long and that’s part of the process of life.

But for one brief part of one stormy evening, the unique feeling was back. Having your child trust you enough to fall asleep peacefully in your arms can not be matched by anything else in life. I’m grateful to have that experience again and to be aware enough to enjoy it fully. To my friend, cherish those moments with your little one. They pass from you quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home