From the Hat Rack

"An experiment in writing." This blog contains my occasional essays/reflections/columns on personal observations. The blog is so named as I seem to wear many hats on a daily basis. These reflections may come from one or more of these "hat perspectives." The primary purpose of the blog is for writing and improving that skill, and to just share observations that come to mind. Thanks for visiting.

Name:
Location: Coralville, Iowa

April 20, 2006

An Experiment in Love

“Hello, sir.”

I looked up from my coffee and newspaper to see the familiar smile of Nathan. I returned the smile. I’ve know Nathan since he was in diapers. He and his family lived in our area until he was in junior high, when they moved across town. It’s hard to believe that he’s almost 20 years old. Nathan is among the nicest young people you’ll meet. Courteous, kind, compassionate, thoughtful. He’s the kind of young man you hope your daughter will date. How odd that Nathan has always seemed to be date-free on most Friday evenings.

“Hi, Nathan. It’s been awhile. How are things?”

“Going well, sir. I spotted you as I came in. Do you have a minute to spare?”

“Of course, Nathan.” I waved him to the other side of the booth. He plopped down with his worn bookbag and a cup of black Colombian coffee – always Colombian. “Are you still pursuing engineering?”

“Well, it’s now chemical engineering. Of the options, it seems to interest me the most. And it’s got a bit more of a challenge for me.”

“How are your grades?”

“’As’ of course, sir,” he said with a touch of embarrassment. No surprise to me. Nathan came into his college experience loaded with advanced placement credit, mostly in math and computer science. He goes through calculus like a hungry teenager goes through pizza. Bright? He’s far above that. Nathan has a gift in math and sciences. No surprise to hear the report on his grades. He continued, “There will be good opportunities for work in the field. I’m also interested in graduate work, too.”

“Sounds like you are in your element.”

“Well, sir, that’s true to a point. But, that’s what I want to talk to you about. While I enjoy the world of engineering, I’ve been wondering if I’m limiting myself. That’s why I’ve added a second major to my studies – English.”

Another look over my coffee cup. Nathan? English? “I seem to recall your disdain at taking composition your freshman year. You found it – I believe your words were “a bothersome drain on my time.” Now English as a second major?”

“Well, sir, the composition work itself wasn’t all that bad. The graduate student who taught our section had broken up with her longtime boyfriend the week before classes began. She took out her frustrations about ‘Vince’ on us every class period.”

“So how’d you end up doing in the course?”

“Got an ‘A’ of course. Despite her problems, she knew good work! And that leads me to this English thing. I’m in a creative writing course that is really challenging me to think in some new ways. And, I believe I’ve discovered a new genre of writing that could be the next new wave: Math and Science Romance Novels.”

I peek over the coffee cup again, trying to keep the smirk on my face covered. “Math and Science Romance Novels? I guess I’m not aware of the market for such literature.”

“Think about it, sir. All those scientists and lab workers who sit there day after day all alone even in the preseince of others, toiling at their experiments and projects. They see it as work. I want them to see it as…as….as a springboard to matters of the heart.” Nathan gazed off into the distance like a pioneer casting a first glance at the mighty Mississippi.

“By chance, have you done any writing in this new genre?”

“You bet, sir. And when I spotted you in the café, I knew you’d be an ideal person to review my work. And, it’s also due in class at 4:30 today.” Nathan unzipped an outer pocket of the bookbag and brought out a neatly printed document – in a report cover, of course – and handed it to me. “If you don’t mind……”

I took the offering from Nathan and set it on the table. I refilled my cup, cleaned off my reading glasses, and began my initial foray into Math and Science Romance Novels…..

An Experiment in Love – by Nathan Spector

As Daniel pushed open the laboratory door, he could feel the darkness. Guess the previous user forgot to leave the lights on. Daniel found the switch, and with quick flip, illuminated the murky old lab. Murky lab to some, second home to Daniel. However, tonight he was less focused on the lab work at hand. Daniel was, instead, awaiting an encounter with Rachel. Yes, the lovely Rachel. He’d longed for the chance to work with her on a lab assignment. And, as fate would have it, they were paired for assignment #6, “Pondering the Periodic Table.” Word had it that Rachel was equally keen on some study time with Daniel.

Daniel set his briefcase on the desk and checked himself in the refection of terminal screen. Hair in place, tie casually loosened, finest leather pocket protector with initials standing out against his white shirt. Yep, he was ready for some serious work with Rachel. As he waited, he unpacked his bag, set out his notebook, and pulled up the computer program. He began to review some data in his notes, comparing it to updated research on the screen. “Wow, this looks like a significant change,” he thought as his natural inclination toward science took hold. He did not hear the clearing of the throat the first time…or the second…..or the third. Finally, he jumped at the sound of a crashing vial. He looked up to see a figure – not a numerical one – in the shadows.

It was Rachel, beautiful, enticing Rachel. She had slipped into the lab when Daniel’s attention turned to his studies. She sat on a stool, and reclining gently against the workbench. Her white lab coat was unbuttoned, revealing, revealing…her plain, yellow blouse and faded jeans. Rachel was no slave to fashion. She spoke with a soft voice, “Hi, Danny. Sorry I’m late.” She was the only person in the world other than his mother that called him ‘Danny.’ And, frankly, this was no time to bring his mother to mind. “I’m glad you could make it, Rachel. You are, after all, my partner for this little assignment.”

Rachel slowly removed the horn-rims from her face. Her bold, brown eyes gazed at Daniel. She then reached back to the bun in her hair and removed the ever-present pencil she kept there. She then sensuously shook her hair and the bun…well, the bun didn’t budge. Seems she’d been so busy with studies, lab, and her part-time job at the library that she’d not given her hair a good washing in a couple of days. Not to be deterred, she pulled the bun loose – the crackle of static electricity excited Daniel – and her hair fell down on her shoulders, sort of. She made her way to Daniel, placed his textbooks on the table, and pulled him close. Daniel moved away from the table a step less his profuse sweating cause a short in the computer. “She touched his face and said quietly, “Let’s start with an experiment in love……”

I’d come to the last paragraph on the last page. “There’s more, I hope?”

“Sorry, sir, but I ran out of time this morning. I plan to complete it. Pretty exciting stuff, eh?”

I handed the ‘historic’ manuscript back to Nathan. “I’ve certainly not read romance literature from that perspective before. I hope your instructor has an open mind to your new idea.”

“Oh, I can be pretty persuasive. And, I’m doing ‘A’ work so I have some capital to use. Gee, it’s almost 3:00. I’ve got to get out of here.”

“Are you headed off to complete the piece,” I asked as I refilled my cup.

“No, sir,” he said in an almost embarrassed fashion. “I’ve got to get to my study cubicle at the library. Marilyn and I have notes to review for our exam on Friday.”

“And Marilyn is…”

“Oh, just a friend. Well, a really nice friend, and great at formulas. We study together a couple of times a week.”

“Cute?”

“Uh, yes sir. I think she is.” The embarrassment grew along with a smirk of satisfaction. “Thanks for reviewing my paper. It was good to visit.”

“Always, Nathan. Thanks for sharing your work and your concept. I have a hunch your story will get completed, or it might just expand.”

Nathan looked curiously at me as he headed out the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home